Sunday 12 August 2012

All Creatures Great & Small (101 List # 34)


I love all the different creatures I come across in my garden, even those that I'm not fond of such as the spiders who serve a purpose and make beautiful webs (just not keen on them near me or in my house) and snails and slugs, whilst eating most of my tender plants go on to feed birds and hedgehogs. So, I have decided to make a concerted effort to increase the number and types of wildlife that visit my garden.

At present, I have a Gardman feeding station but previously I only had the standard seed and peanut tube types, fat ball holders and a feeding platform. It also has a bird bath but sadly, the plastic dish that holds the water has perished over the last few years and I am trying to find a suitable replacement. The new feeder I have added has a cage round it to allow smaller birds in and prevent larger animals snacking on its contents. I'm happy to feed the big guys just that I have some very greedy wood pigeons that scoff everything and a cunning squirrel (Steven) who is equally hungry.

I am also trying different types of seed mixes to attract different types of bird such as robins & songbirds. A friend has also posted a recipe for homemade suet cake which I will try in the cooler months.

Next project will probably be to make my own hedgehog house. I need to get it in and positioned in advance of autumn so my current Mr or Mrs Tiggiwinkle (who's been visiting for a while now) can actually find it before they need to use it so will be doing some internet research on how to & best spot for it in my garden.

Oh, and in addition, I’m feeding a hoard of mice in the shed where I store the nuts, seed & mealworms. They’re very partial to the peanuts and the plastic tubs they’re stored in so will have to invest in some metal containers or find some old sweet/biscuit tins!

I would love any suggestions on bringing more wildlife in.

Here is a picture of my station with the new caged feeder at the front.


No comments:

Post a Comment